Smoked salmon tartar is a well know dish and, despite its elegant appearance, it’s very easy to prepare.
Ingredients (for 4 people)
• 400g smoked salmon
• 2 avocados
• 6 gherkins (pepinillos)
• 2 tbsps capers (alcaparras)
• Half salad onion (medio cebolleta)
• 1 tbsp fresh dill (eneldo)
• 2 tbsps cider vinegar (vinagre de sidra o manzana)
• 1 pinch pink and white pepper (pimienta rosa y blanca)
• 1 hard boiled egg
• Dash of olive oil (un chorro de aceite de oliva)
• Maldon salt flakes (sal Maldon en escamas)
• Black or red fish roe (huevas de pescado) *optional
Finely chop all the ingredients, other than the hard-boiled egg. You can leave the smoked salmon in somewhat larger pieces than the rest of the ingredients.
Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, adding the dill, vinegar and olive oil.
Cut the avocados into square pieces and add to the previous mixture along with the pepper and leave the avocado stones within the mixture to avoid the oxidation of the avocado. Reserve in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Use round, stainless steel serving moulds to plate the ‘tartar’ and decorate with grated hard-boiled egg, a drizzle of olive oil and maldon salt flakes. You can also add fish roe for decoration purposes if so desired.