- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (bacon)
- 2 carrots, chopped (zanahorias)
- half an onion, chopped (cebolla)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (ajo)
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste (concentrado de tomate)
- 1 tablespoon flour (harina)
- 4 cups chicken stock (caldo de pollo)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (tomillo)
- 2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 2 x 410g cans chopped tomatoes (latas de tomates troceados o triturados)
- cream or greek yoghurt (optional – to add at the end as desired) – nata o yogur griego, opcional (al final)
- Grated cheese/parsley (queso rallado/perejil)
- Fry the bacon in a large casserole over medium low heat until bacon starts to get crispy and browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the bacon in the pan; saute for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are very aromatic and tender.
- Add the tomato paste – stir for a few minutes until you can see/smell the tomato paste starting to brown and caramelize. Add the flour and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the canned tomatoes and their juice, the chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in batches and return to the pot. Add cream or greek yoghurt if you want and sprinkle with grated cheese to serve.