Ingredients for 4people:
500g wild mushrooms (níscalos)
4 large potatoes (patatas)
1 medium onion (cebolla)
1 green pepper (pimiento verde)
1 clove garlic (ajo)
A good pinch paprika (pimentón)
Chopped fresh parsley (perejil)
Olive Oil (aceite de oliva)
Salt and pepper to taste (sal y pimienta)
– Cover the base of a large frying pan with olive oil and heat.
– Peel and chop the onion and, when the oil is hot, fry the onion until transparent.
– In the meantime, clean and cut the green pepper into smallish pieces or strips and add to the softened onion and continue cooking until the green pepper is soft.
– Clean the wild mushrooms well to eliminate any soil they may have embedded underneath (I use a nailbrush for this). Dry well.
– If the wild mushrooms are large, cut them up – – on the contrary, leave them whole. – As soon as the onion and green pepper are soft, add the mushrooms and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
– Chop up the garlic and parsley and add to the pan along with the wild mushrooms.
– Cut the potatoes into chunks: cut half way through with a knife then crack the other half open by hand. By doing this, the potatoes will release more starch which will thicken the sauce. Add to the pan.
– Add the chorizo, cut into small pieces, and add a good pinch of paprika.
– Add salt and pepper to taste.
– Stir fry everything together for a couple of minutes then cover the ingredients with water.
– Bring to the boil then simmer for around 30 minutes, at which time the potatoes should be tender and the sauce reduced and thickened.